PEP 3131: Supporting Non-ASCII Identifiers

Gregor Horvath gh at gregor-horvath.com
Wed May 16 00:04:57 EDT 2007

Ross Ridge schrieb:

> non-ASCII identifiers.  While it's easy to find code where comments use
> non-ASCII characters, I was never able to find a non-made up example
> that used them in identifiers.

If comments are allowed to be none English, then why are identifier not?
This is inconsistent because there is a correlation between identifier
and comment.

The best identifier is one that needs no comment, because it
self-describes it's content. None English identifiers enhance the
meaning of identifiers for some projects. So why forbid them? We are all
adults.

Gregor