PEP 3131: Supporting Non-ASCII Identifiers

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu May 17 09:31:34 EDT 2007

> I claim that this is *completely unrealistic*. When learning Python, you
> *do* learn the actual meanings of English terms like "open",
> "exception", "if" and so on if you did not know them before. It would be
> extremely foolish not to do so.

Having taught students for many years now, I can report that this is
most certainly *not* the case. Many people learn only ever the technical
meaning of some term, and never grasp the English meaning. They could
look into a dictionary, but they rather read the documentation.

I've reported this before, but happily do it again: I have lived many
years without knowing what a "hub" is, and what "to pass" means if
it's not the opposite of "to fail". Yet, I have used their technical
meanings correctly all these years.

Regards,
Martin