PEP 3131: Supporting Non-ASCII Identifiers

Thomas Bellman bellman at lysator.liu.se
Fri May 18 03:47:32 EDT 2007

=?UTF-8?B?Ik1hcnRpbiB2LiBMw7Z3aXMi?= <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:

>> 3) Is or will there be a definitive and exhaustive listing (with
>> bitmap representations of the glyphs to avoid the font issues) of the
>> glyphs that the PEP 3131 would allow in identifiers? (Does this
>> question even make sense?)

> As for the list I generated in HTML: It might be possible to
> make it include bitmaps instead of HTML character references,
> but doing so is a licensing problem, as you need a license
> for a font that has all these characters. If you want to
> lookup a specific character, I recommend to go to the Unicode
> code charts, at

> http://www.unicode.org/charts/

My understanding is also that there are several east-asian
characters that display quite differently depending on whether
you are in Japan, Taiwan or mainland China.  So much differently
that for example a Japanese person will not be able to recognize
a character rendered in the Taiwanese or mainland Chinese way.

--
Thomas Bellman,   Lysator Computer Club,   Linköping University,  Sweden
"Adde parvum parvo magnus acervus erit"       ! bellman @ lysator.liu.se