PEP 3131: Supporting Non-ASCII Identifiers

Anders J. Munch 2007 at jmunch.dk
Sun May 13 18:53:01 EDT 2007

Michael Torrie wrote:

> So given that people can already transliterate their language for use as
> identifiers, I think avoiding non-ASCII character sets is a good idea.

Transliteration makes people choose bad variable names, I see it all the time
with Danish programmers.  Say e.g. the most descriptive name for a process is
"kør forlæns" (run forward).  But "koer_forlaens" is ugly, so instead he'll
write "run_fremad", combining an English word with a slightly less appropriate
Danish word.  Sprinkle in some English spelling errors and badly-chosen English
words, and you have the sorry state of the art that is today.

- Anders