Off Topic: What is the good book to learn Python ?

kyosohma at gmail.com kyosohma at gmail.com
Wed May 30 14:54:15 EDT 2007

On May 30, 1:25 pm, Katie Tam <katie... at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am new to this filed and begin to learn this langague. Can you tell
> me the good books to start with ?
>
> Katie Tam
> Network administratorhttp://www.linkwaves.com/main.asphttp://www.linkwaves.com

Depends on what you like. For easy stuff that's fun, I liked "Python
Programming for the Beginner" by Dawson as it let you create real
applications (mostly silly games).

"Beginning Python" by Hetland and the Python for Dummies book are both
good. Hetland's goes over everything you'd need to know and it has
some pretty cool, albeit complex examples in the last few chapters. If
you want good exercises to go with what you learned in the book, I'd
have to recommend "Python Programming: And Introduction to Computer
Science" by Zelle. It's the only book I've seen with good exercises
(or any exercises) at the end. Most don't have them.

Once you're through all that wonderfulness, I would recommend "Python
Programming 3rd Ed." by Lutz and/or "Core Python Programming" by Chun
for excellent references.

If you have any questions about any of these books let me know. I've
read all of them (except for Lutz's...only halfway done with it).

Mike