customary way of keeping your own Python and module directory in $HOME

jmg3000 at gmail.com jmg3000 at gmail.com
Mon May 14 20:55:28 EDT 2007

On May 14, 6:00 pm, James Stroud <jstr... at mbi.ucla.edu> wrote:
> jmg3... at gmail.com wrote:
> [snip], but on *nix,
> you can compile python with the "--prefix=" option set to a directory in
> your home dir and install there.

Check.

> I recommend having your own python install if you want a comprehensive
> approach.

Yup. I dropped the src in ~/src/Python-2.5.1, created a ~/py-2.5.1
directory, and did

./configure --prefix=/home/me/py-2.5.1
make
make install

and it worked fine. The only other step after that was creating a
symlink:

cd
ln -s py-2.5.1 py

and adding /home/me/py/bin to my $PATH.

> Doesn't seem like hyper-paranoid sysadmining is all that efficient, does it?

Well, on a server with many other users, they've pretty much gotta
keep you confined to your home directory.

My issues have been with keeping a ~/pylib directory for extra
modules, and reconciling that with setuptools / Easy Install. I'm
curious to hear how other folks manage their own local module
directory.