docs patch: dicts and sets

Steven Bethard steven.bethard at gmail.com
Sat May 19 11:06:15 EDT 2007

Alan Isaac wrote:
> I submitted the language based on Bill and Carsten's proposals:
>
> https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=105470&aid=1721372&group_id=5470
>
> That language has been rejected.
> You many want to read the discussion and see if
> acceptible language still seems discoverable.

Seems to me that you're focusing on the wrong part of the docs.  The
source of this "bug" is not sets or dicts, but the default __hash__
method implementation.  Why don't you propose adding something like:

     The default __hash__ method is based on an object's id(), and can
     therefore change between different iterations of the same program.

to the docs for __hash__:

     http://docs.python.org/ref/customization.html

Then if you really feel you need to add something for sets and dicts,
you can add a cross-reference to the __hash__ docs.

STeVe