PEP 3131: Supporting Non-ASCII Identifiers

Anders J. Munch 2007 at jmunch.dk
Mon May 14 12:01:11 EDT 2007

Eric Brunel wrote:
> You could tell that the rule should be that if the project has the
> slightest chance of becoming open-source, or shared with people not
> speaking the same language as the original coders, one should not use
> non-ASCII identifiers. I'm personnally convinced that *any* industrial
> project falls into this category. So accepting non-ASCII identifiers is
> just introducing a disaster waiting to happen.

Not at all.  If the need arises, you just translate the whole thing.  Contrary
to popular belief, this is a quick and easy thing to do.

So YAGNI applies, and even if you find that you do need it, you may still have
won on the balance! As the time saved by using your native language just might
outweigh the time spent translating.

- Anders