Can I reference 1 instance of an object by more names ? rephrase

Stef Mientki S.Mientki-nospam at mailbox.kun.nl
Thu May 24 15:51:00 EDT 2007

Maric Michaud wrote:

> def bit():
>     def fset(self, value):
>         index    = 5
>         value    = ( value & 1L ) << index
>         mask     = ( 1L ) << index
>         self._d  = ( self._d & ~mask ) | value
>     def fget(self):
>         index    = 5
>         return ( self._d >> index ) & 1
>     return property(**locals())
>

> class cpu_ports(object) :
>
>     p1 = bit()
>     p2 = bit()
>     p3 = bit()
>     p4 = bit()
>     p5 = bit()

Looks good, but I miss the index :-(
   p3 = bit(3)

I tried several of these kind of constructs,
but I can't find a way to pass the index of the bit,
all trials gave Python errors.
This is obvious above my level of knowledge.
So if this isn't possible, I just use the 8 copies ;-)

> But i wonder if you shouldn't use arrays instead :
>
> In [6]:import array
>
> In [7]:help(array)

I don't think arrays will help, because most operations will be done on a complete byte.

btw, the first notes about what I'm planning to do, can be seen here:
http://oase.uci.ru.nl/~mientki/data_www/pic/jalcc/python/jal_simulation.html

thanks,
Stef Mientki