Is PEP-8 a Code or More of a Guideline?

Paul Rubin http
Sun May 27 15:46:18 EDT 2007

Paul McGuire <ptmcg at austin.rr.com> writes:
> code about once/year.  But it does mean that additions to the external
> API to the std lib will contain method calls such as get_files,
> send_message, delete_record, etc.  I think this just promotes a
> perception of Python as "so last century."

I think you've got it backwards; the godawful MixedCase style goes
back to Smalltalk, which couldn't use underscores in identifiers
because it had assigned some other purpose to that character.
That it was picked up by Java is not evidence of anything other
than Java's Vogon-like tastelessness, and of course C# uses it since
C# is basically a Java dialect.