Components for a client/server architecture

Duncan Grisby duncan-news at grisby.org
Tue May 22 04:48:07 EDT 2007

In article <f2stbp$lmg$1 at tamarack.fernuni-hagen.de>,
Samuel  <newsgroups at debain.org> wrote:

[...]
>> Sounds like CORBA to me. CORBA has a very mature and good implementation
>> for Python called OmniORB, and interoperability with other orbs (the
>> ones available for e.g. Java) is very good - as CORBA as standard is
>> mature.
>
>I have worked with Bonobo (an implementation of CORBA) before, though not
>on the network - it is fairly complex. But I did not think of using it
>for this purpose, it might actually make sense. I'll have to look into
>the transport protocol more.

To be clear, Bonobo is not an implementation of CORBA. It is a
(somewhat byzantine) implementation of a component model on top of
CORBA.

CORBA certainly has some complex corners, but for many of the most
common application requirements it is pretty simple, and buys you a
lot in terms of cross-platform compatibility and clarity of
interfaces.

Cheers,

Duncan.

--