Key Listeners

kaens apatheticagnostic at gmail.com
Wed May 30 08:19:13 EDT 2007

On 5/30/07, Bruno Desthuilliers
<bruno.42.desthuilliers at wtf.websiteburo.oops.com> wrote:
> Benedict Verheyen a écrit :
> > bruno.desthuilliers at gmail.com schreef:
> >>
> >> What is a "key listener" ?
> >>
> (snip)
> > In google, the first link is a link to the java sun home page.
> > The first sentence on that page: "Key events indicate when the user is
> > typing at the keyboard."
>
> I do know what's a "key listener" in Java, thanks !-)
>
> My question was supposed to have side effects - like the OP asking
> himself if he was really asking the right question.
>
> Regards too.
> --

What, he wants to know if there's a way in python to capture
keystrokes, and do something with them depending on what they are.

I mean, it's very unlikely that you would ask for something called a
"key listener" if you didn't want to do something like:

if keypress == 'a':
   do somem

right? Even if you're looking to do it the java way, all of the
listener functionality more or less boils down to "wait for and report
keys being pressed".

He could have been less ambiguous, but I don't think that he was
asking the wrong question per se.

Not to mention asking the OP "what's a key listener" isn't going to
make them think about the question they asked - it makes it seem like
you don't know what a key listener is (and frankly, I think that if
you have done any work with doing stuff on different keystrokes,
you'll figure out what is meant by key listener pretty quickly, even
if you haven't heard the term before)