SMTPAuthenticationError

Steve Howell showell30 at yahoo.com
Tue May 29 19:53:38 EDT 2007

--- Ramashish Baranwal <ramashish.lists at gmail.com>

http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/exchange2003/exchange2003_SMTP_A...

> Hi Larry,
>
> Thanks for the reply. I have worked according to the
> steps in the link
> you provided. From that it seems my server accepts
> base64 encoded
> username and password. I am able to login this way.
> How to give the
> same in smtplib?
>
> Ram

To help debug this, you may want to try the following.

1) Copy smptlib.py into your local directory.  On my
box, you can find it here, or import sys; print
sys.path to help find it on your box:

   /usr/local/lib/python2.3

2) Go the login() method, add some print statements
there to see what's going on.

I admit to not being an SMTP expert nor fully
understanding the code at first glance, but here is
some code iin smtplib.py that suggests you're close to
getting this working, to the extent that your server
wants base64 encoding:

        def encode_cram_md5(challenge, user,
password):
            challenge = base64.decodestring(challenge)
            response = user + " " +
hmac.HMAC(password, challenge).hexdigest()
            return encode_base64(response, eol="")

Hope this helps.

in the all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta.