Read binary data from MySQL database

Christoph Krammer redtiger84 at googlemail.com
Thu May 10 10:19:16 EDT 2007

Hello,

I try to write a python application with wx that shows images from a
MySQL database. I use the following code to connect and get data when
some event was triggered:

dbconn = MySQLdb.connect(host="localhost", user="...", passwd="...",
db="images")
dbcurs = dbconn.cursor()
dbcurs.execute("""SELECT imgdata FROM images LIMIT 1""")
imgstring = dbcurs.fetchone()[0]
frame.showImage(imgstring)

Within my frame, the following method is defined:

def showImage(self, imgstring):
  imgdata = StringIO.StringIO()
  imgdata.write(imgstring)
  print imgdata.getvalue()
  wx.ImageFromStream(imgdata, wx.BITMAP_TYPE_GIF)
  panel = wx.Panel(self, -1)
  self.panel = panel

But this does not work. The converter says that the data is not valid
GIF. When I print the content of imgstring after the database select
statement, it contains something like this:

array('c', 'GIF89aL\x01=\x01\x85\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\xff\xff\xff
\x00\xff\xff\xff[...]\x00\x00;')

When I try to print imgstring[1], the result is "I". So I don't quite
get what this print result is about and why my input should not be
valid. The data in the database is correct, I can restore the image
with tools like the MySQL Query Browser.

Thanks in advance,
 Christoph