PEP 3131: Supporting Non-ASCII Identifiers

Gregor Horvath gh at gregor-horvath.com
Tue May 15 23:44:00 EDT 2007

René Fleschenberg schrieb:

> We all know what the PEP is about (we can read). The point is: If we do
> not *need* non-English/ASCII identifiers, we do not need the PEP. If the
> PEP does not solve an actual *problem* and still introduces some
> potential for *new* problems, it should be rejected. So far, the
> "problem" seems to just not exist. The burden of proof is on those who
> support the PEP.

A good product does not only react to problems but acts.

Solving current problems is only one thing. Great products are exploring
new ways, ideas and possibilities according to their underlying vision.

Python has a vision of being easy even for newbies to programming.
Making it easier for non native English speakers is a step forward in
this regard.

Gregor