PEP 3131: Supporting Non-ASCII Identifiers

Javier Bezos see_below_no_spam at yahoo.es
Tue May 15 12:49:56 EDT 2007

"René Fleschenberg" <rene at .de> escribió en el mensaje
news:4649dd55$0$23144$9b4e6d93 at newsspool1.arcor-online.net...

> This is a very weak argument, IMHO. How do you want to use Python
> without learning at least enough English to grasp a somewhat decent
> understanding of the standard library?

By heart. I know a few _very good_ programmers
who are unable to understand an English text.
Knowing English helps, of course, but is not
required at all. Of course, they don't know how
to name identifiers in English, but it happens
they _cannot_ give them proper Spanish names,
either (I'm from Spain).

+1 for the PEP, definitely.

> But having, for example, things like open() from the stdlib in your code
> and then öffnen() as a name for functions/methods written by yourself is
> just plain silly. It makes the code inconsistent and ugly without
> significantly improving the readability for someone who speaks German
> but not English.

Agreed. I always use English names (more or
less :-)), but this is not the PEP is about.

Javier
http://www.texytipografia.com