(Modular-)Application Framework / Rich-Client-Platform in Python

Peter Wang misterwang at gmail.com
Fri May 18 11:48:35 EDT 2007

On May 18, 10:15 am, Wildemar Wildenburger <wilde... at freakmail.de>
wrote:
> stefaan wrote:
> > To make it short again:http://code.enthought.com/ets/
>
> Nice, seems very interesting. Bit of a bitch to set up, as it appears
> from scanning the site, but that might be it.

Actually, just this week, we completed a major SVN reorganization and
from this point forward, all of the libraries in ETS will be released
as eggs.  In fact, eggs have been available for a long time for python
2.4, and now we have them for python 2.5 as well.

The "Eclipse in python" you're looking for is actually called
Envisage, and it is part of ETS: https://svn.enthought.com/enthought/wiki/Envisage

The "Dev Guide" has some tutorials etc.: https://svn.enthought.com/enthought/wiki/EnvisageDevGuide

Note that Envisage != ETS.  "ETS" is the term for the whole bundle of
various Enthought libraries, including Traits, Chaco, Pyface, etc.
Envisage does require some of these others (notably Traits and
Pyface), but they are all available as eggs.

> Now for the everlasting circle of evaluating, feature-wanting,
> to-write-myself-deciding, failing, for-the-next-big-idea-waiting,
> asking, evaluationg, ...

Chime in on the mailing list if you have any questions.  It's pretty
active and many people on it have lots of experience with Envisage.

-Peter