PEP 3131: Supporting Non-ASCII Identifiers

Hendrik van Rooyen mail at microcorp.co.za
Wed May 16 05:16:09 EDT 2007

 <rurpy at yahoo.com> wrote:

> "Hendrik van Rooyen" <m...l at m,,,.co.za> wrote in message
> news:mailman.7700.1179242569.32031.python-list at python.org...
>
> > <rurpy at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> [I fixed the broken attribution in your quote]

Sorry about that - I deliberately fudge email addys...

> First "while" is a keyword and will remain "while" so
> that has nothing to do with anything.

I think this cuts right down to why I oppose the PEP.
It is not so much for technical reasons as for aesthetic
ones - I find reading a mix of languages horrible, and I am
kind of surprised by the strength of my own reaction.

If I try to analyse my feelings, I think that really the PEP
does not go far enough, in a sense, and from memory
it seems to me that only E Brunel, R Fleschenberg and
to a lesser extent the Martellibot seem to somehow think
in a similar way as I do, but I seem to have an extreme
case of the disease...

And the summaries of reasons for and against have left
out objections based on this feeling of ugliness of mixed
language.

Interestingly, the people who seem to think a bit like that all
seem to be non native English speakers who are fluent in
English.

While the support seems to come from people whose English
is perfectly adequate, but who are unsure to the extent that they
apologise for their "bad" English.

Is this a pattern that you have identified? - I don't know.

I still don't like the thought of the horrible mix of "foreign"
identifiers and English keywords, coupled with the English
sentence construction.  And that, in a nutshell, is the main
reason for my rather vehement opposition to this PEP.

The other stuff about sharing and my inability to even type
the OP's name correctly with the umlaut is kind of secondary
to this feeling of revulsion.

"Beautiful is better than ugly"

- Hendrik