Trying to choose between python and java

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Tue May 15 16:32:29 EDT 2007

In article <f2bghg$4q0$1 at news-01.bur.connect.com.au>,
Anthony Irwin  <nospam at noemailhere.nowhere> wrote:

>#5 someone said that they used to use python but stopped because the
>language changed or made stuff depreciated (I can fully remember
>which) and old code stopped working. Is code written today likely to
>still work in 5+ years or do they depreciate stuff and you have to update?

You're probably thinking of
http://www.gbch.net/gjb/blog/software/discuss/python-sucks.html

Thing is, while he has a point, I don't think it's a very good one.  For
example, just yesterday in upgrading from Java 1.4.2 to Java 5.0, I had
to fix a bunch of instances of "package foo.bar.baz;" to "package baz;"
because apparently the latter is now "correct".  Bugfixes happen, and
sometimes they break working code.

"Look, it's your affair if you want to play with five people, but don't
go calling it doubles."  --John Cleese anticipates Usenet