Is PEP-8 a Code or More of a Guideline?

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Sun May 27 07:20:24 EDT 2007

Stefan Sonnenberg-Carstens <stefan.sonnenberg at pythonmeister.com> writes:

> I prefer mixedCaseStyle, and I think that should be "standard",

I dislike it. It's inconsistent, and confusingly similar to
TitleCaseStyle used for class names in Python.

> as this style is commonly used in all "major" languages , for
> example Java,C++,C#.

Is C no longer a "major" language? The long-standing convention there
is for lower_case_with_underscores.

> It shortens the identifiers but leaves the meaning intact.

The shortening is both minor, and irrelevant: clarity is worth more
than shorter names merely for the sake of shorter names.

--
 \     "If you're a young Mafia gangster out on your first date, I bet |
  `\    it's real embarrassing if someone tries to kill you."  -- Jack |