HTML Form/Page and Navigation with multiple buttons

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Thu May 31 12:19:46 EDT 2007

mosscliffe wrote:
> Excellent - thanks for all your help.  I now have a form created by a
> python script executing an HTML page, doing everything I need, except
> for Session Data (probably use hidden fields ?? future research) and
> the actual paging logic !!!

In fact you should find you can name all of the buttons the same. Then
when you click one the value associated with that name tells you which
button the user pressed.

Just don't call your button "submit", since that masks a JavaScript form
method that you will probably end up using sooner or later.

> If I use a link.  I have to add all my hidden fields to the query
> string, otherwise cgi.FieldStorage(), does not return the hidden
> fields. This would also mean users see all the hidden field data.
>
> Is there another way, other than a cookie ?
>
> Why is a link better than a button ?

Beats me why you got that advice. Buttons are perfectly adequate for
that purpose.

However, you can if you want use links with "javascript: ..." href
values to accomplish local scripting which can do funky stuff like
setting form field values and submitting the form. This can get tricky
though, and it sounds like you are maybe a little too new to the web to
be messing with client-side scripting. Later ...

> I have been using 'post' for my form, to eliminate the displaying of
> field values.

That does make the location bar easier on the user's eye, and is the
standard way to proceed. It doesn't add anything in the way of security,
however.

> I accept I am quite niave about FORM/HTML logic.

We all have to start somewhere!

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119