Good Python style?

Andreas Beyer mail at a-beyer.de
Thu May 31 03:59:07 EDT 2007

Hi,

I found the following quite cryptic code, which basically reads the
first column of some_file into a set.
In Python I am used to seeing much more verbose/explicit code. However,
the example below _may_ actually be faster than the usual "for line in ..."
Do you consider this code good Python style? Or would you recommend to
refrain from such complex single-line code??

Thanks!
Andreas

inp = resource(some_file)
# read first entries of all non-empty lines into a set
some_set = frozenset([line.split()[0] for line in \
          filter(None, [ln.strip() for ln in inp])])