Anyone else has seen "forrtl: error (200) ..."

Alexander Eisenhuth newsuser at stacom-software.de
Thu May 31 04:52:14 EDT 2007

Jason schrieb:
> Forrtl indicates that your script is running a Fortran library or
> program.  Remember that Python exceptions only apply during Python.
> If a Fortran DLL performs a divide-by-zero error, or accesses invalid
> memory, it will kill the interpreter instead of throwing a Python
> exception.  With Compaq Visual Fortran, the Fortran library calls can
> kill your entire program if a function receives an invalid value.
> (Try raising a negative real number to a fractional exponent, for
> example.)
>
> I'd guess that the Fortran code is intercepting the CTRL-C signal and
> killing the running script.
>
> Without knowing anything about your script and the library calls it
> makes, I can't give you much advice.  There may be little that you can
> do, especially if you don't have the Fortran source code in question
> and/or can't recompile it.  Maybe someone with some Fortran/Python
> experience can assist you.
>
>   --Jason

Thanks for that hint.

Indeed a extension I'm using in my script uses matlab, and matlab uses (I'm
quite sure) fortran.

But does that mean, if a fortran dll is loaded, a underlying software layer
passes Ctrl+C to the fortran dll instead to python? (I can reproduce that in
doing a ctrl+c while my script is currently at time.sleep(10)

Thanks,
Alexander