ctree data

Carl K carl at personnelware.com
Sat May 12 17:05:03 EDT 2007

A friend needs to convert c-tree plus data to MySql.  I can to the "to MySql
part, but need some help with the "from c-tree."  If I just wanted to get this
done, I would hunt down the ODBC driver and use some MSy thing.  But I am trying
to hone my Python skills, but right now I am in over my head, thus this post.  I
think with a little boost I will be able to make it all come together.  (well,
little boost may be an understatement - I have no clue how close/far I am from
what I need.)

My searching around has come up with a few ways to use Python to read the data:

1. pull what I need from some other py code that uses c-tree:

http://oltp-platform.cvs.sourceforge.net/oltp-platform/OLTPP/services/PythonScript/PythonTranslate.h?view=markup
http://oltp-platform.cvs.sourceforge.net/oltp-platform/OLTPP/scripts/TestZipCodes.py?view=markup

     12     a,b,c = ZipCode.Get()
     13     print "Zip code is ", a
     14     print "State is ", b
     15     print "City is ", c

I am sure this is what I want.  I just haven't figured out where to start.

2. "Pyrex"  to create Python bindings to C API with minimal C knowledge.  I took
C and did a few little utilities on my own in the 90's.  plus I can make a
tarball.  today I am not sure I even qualify for "minimal."

3. the C API is present as a shared object (.so), use it from Python with
ctypes.   I have no idea what that means.

4. odbc - I am actually not thrilled about using the ctree odbc driver in any
environment, because someone else who tried to use it on some other data a few
years ago said it was flaky, and support was next to useless.

5, get someone who knows perl to do it using
http://cpan.uwinnipeg.ca/htdocs/Db-Ctree/Db/Ctree.html - This just shows what
lengths I am willing to go to.  but I really don't want to start learning perl.

TIA
Carl K