PEP 3131: Supporting Non-ASCII Identifiers

Christophe chris.cavalaria at free.fr
Wed May 16 06:44:01 EDT 2007

René Fleschenberg a écrit :
> Christophe schrieb:
>> You should know that displaying and editing UTF-8 text as if it was
>> latin-1 works very very well.s
>
> No, this only works for those characters that are in the ASCII range.
> For all the other characters it does not work well at all.

This alone shows you don't know enouth about UTF-8 to talk about it.
UTF-8 will NEVER use < 128 chars to describe multibyte chars. When you
parse a UTF-8 file, each space is a space, each \n is an end of line and
each 'Z' is a 'Z'.

>> Also, Terminals have support for UTF-8 encodings already.
>
> Some have, some have not. And you not only need a terminal that can
> handle UTF-8 data, you also need a font that has a glyph for all the
> characters you need to handle, and you may also need a way to actualy
> enter those characters with your keyboard.

Ever heard of the famous "cut/paste"? I use it all the time, even when
handling standard ASCII english code. It greatly cuts down my ability to
make some typo while writing code.