Simple omniORBpy example throws exception with error 0x41540002

Duncan Grisby duncan-news at grisby.org
Tue May 22 12:53:09 EDT 2007

In article <1179839519.216407.124960 at z24g2000prd.googlegroups.com>,
Samuel  <knipknap at gmail.com> wrote:

[...]
>Ah, I see now how this works. I happen to run Ubuntu here, so I tried
>the following:
>
>- sudo apt-get install orbit-name-server-2
>- orbit-name-server-2 &
>- Add to /etc/omniORB4.cfg:
>InitRef = NameService=IOR:010000002b000000...
>(where everything starting from "IOR:" is the output given by orbit-
>name-server-2.
>
>However, this does not seem to change the behavior. Any hints?

I think ORBit is configured to only listen on its proprietary Unix
domain socket protocol by default, not TCP, so omniORB doesn't know
how to talk to it. You should either tell ORBit to listen on TCP
(Google for how), or use omniORB's naming service, which listens on
TCP by default.

Alternatively, you don't particularly need to use a naming service if
you don't want to. You can modify the example to output an IOR string
for the object reference rather than trying to register it in the
naming service. Print the result of orb.object_to_string(adderObjref)
rather than the naming service stuff.

The example you are looking at was given as a tutorial with me
speaking, so it's a bit light on details of what's going on. You might
find the introduction in the omniORBpy manual more useful:

  http://omniorb.sourceforge.net/omnipy3/omniORBpy/omniORBpy002.html

or chapter 2 in the PDF version:

  http://omniorb.sourceforge.net/omnipy3/omniORBpy.pdf

Cheers,