itertools.groupby

Steve Howell showell30 at yahoo.com
Sun May 27 21:12:15 EDT 2007

--- Carsten Haese <carsten at uniqsys.com> wrote:
> [...] It's an abstract code pattern for an abstract
use
> case.

I question the use of abstract code patterns in
documentation, as they just lead to confusion.  I
really think concrete examples are better in any
circumstance.

Also, to the OP's original contention, there is no way
that "uniquekeys" is a sensible variable in the overly
abstract example that is provided as an example in
the, er, non-examples portion of the documentation.
With the abstract non-example that's posted as an
example, the assertion of uniqueness implicit in the
name of the variable doesn't make any sense.

> There is an
> example on the following page, called Examples!

The example is useful.  Thank you.

> > These docs need work.  Please do not defend them;
>
> [...]
> To name just one, there's an example of
> itertools.groupby in the last
> code snippet at

http://informixdb.blogspot.com/2007/04/power-of-generators-part-two.html

Do we now, or could we, link to this example from the
docs?

> [...] that shouldn't stop you from suggesting
improvements.

I already did in a previous reply.

To repeat myself, I think a concrete example is
beneficial even on the main page:

import itertools

syslog_messages = [
    'out of file descriptors',