PEP 3131: Supporting Non-ASCII Identifiers

Peter Maas peter.maas at somewhere.com
Sat May 19 16:01:21 EDT 2007

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> Python code is written by many people in the world who are not familiar
> with the English language, or even well-acquainted with the Latin
> writing system.

I believe that there is a not a single programmer in the world who doesn't
know ASCII. It isn't hard to learn the latin alphabet and you have to know
it anyway to use the keywords and the other ASCII characters to write numbers,
punctuation etc. Most non-western alphabets have ASCII transcription rules
and contain ASCII as a subset. On the other hand non-ascii identifiers
lead to fragmentation and less understanding in the programming world so I
don't like them. I also don't like non-ascii domain names where the same
arguments apply.

Let the data be expressed with Unicode but the logic with ASCII.

--
Regards/Gruesse,

Peter Maas, Aachen
E-mail 'cGV0ZXIubWFhc0B1dGlsb2cuZGU=\n'.decode('base64')