Python compared to other language

Stef Mientki S.Mientki-nospam at mailbox.kun.nl
Fri May 18 17:22:34 EDT 2007

scott wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>     I have been looking at the various programming languages available.
> I have programed in Basic since I was a teenager and I also have a basic
> understanding of C, but I want something better.
>
>     Can anybody tell me the benefits and weaknesses of using Python?

hi Scott,
coming from Basic, I think Python might be a very good (maybe even thé best) choice.

I've been searching for the past few years for a universal language,
in which I can do everything, whether it's
- a normal (graphical) user application,
- a program which is downloaded in a small micro-controller
- an interactive webpage design
- performing educational / scientific calculations
now this can all (well almost) be done in Python.
(a year ago I thought it was PHP,
but it can't do small micros and scientific work)

The major disadvantage of Python,
(at least if you compare it with Visual Basic, Delphi, Kylix, Lazarus),
is the somewhat limited (or more difficult) building of a graphical user interface.

I've rewritten a few pieces of code from both MatLab and Delphi (comparable with Basic),
into Python,
and it's really great,
number of sourcecode lines decreased to about 30% !!

But as others said, try it yourself.

cheers,
Stef Mientki