PEP 3131: Supporting Non-ASCII Identifiers

Gregor Horvath gh at gregor-horvath.com
Wed May 16 23:09:52 EDT 2007

sjdevnull at yahoo.com schrieb:

> On May 16, 12:54 pm, Gregor Horvath <g... at gregor-horvath.com> wrote:
>> Istvan Albert schrieb:
>>
>> So the solution is to forbid Chinese XP ?
>>

> It's one solution, depending on your support needs.

That would be a rather arrogant solution.
You would consider dropping the language and culture of millions of
users because a small number of support team staff does not understand
it? I would recommend to drop the support team and the management that
even considers this.

This PEP is not a technical question.
Technically it would no change much.

The underlying question is a philosophical one.
Should computer programming only be easy accessible to a small fraction
of privileged individuals who had the luck to be born in the correct
countries?

Should the unfounded and maybe xenophilous fear of loosing power and
control of a small number of those already privileged be a guide for
development?

Gregor