My newbie annoyances so far

John Nagle nagle at animats.com
Sun May 6 21:09:32 EDT 2007

Alex Martelli wrote:
> John Nagle <nagle at animats.com> wrote:
>

>>igouy2 at yahoo.com wrote:

>>>Why do you say CPython is slower than JavaScript? Please provide
>>>examples.
>>
>>    See
>>
>>      http://www.mozilla.org/projects/tamarin/faq.html
>>
>>Tamarin is a just-in-time compiler for Javascript.
>

> ...and is not yet released, as far as I can tell; this makes it kind of
> diffcult to verify any kinds of claims about its speed.

    Tamarind is inside the current implementation of Flash, but it's
not into Firefox yet, apparently.  The current SpiderMonkey implementation
is nothing to get excited about in terms of performance.

    My point is that there are optimizing hard-code compiler implementations
of many dynamic languages, including LISP, Self, and Smalltalk, but not Python.

				John Nagle