PyPI bdist_wininst upload failing

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Sun May 27 03:11:12 EDT 2007

On May 27, 4:20 pm, Steven Bethard <steven.beth... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Steven Bethard wrote:
> > I just tried to upload new versions of the argparse module to PyPI, but
> > it seems like I can no longer upload Windows installers:
[snip]
> That seems a little weird to me. Are the bdist_wininst exe files really
> zip files? Or did I just misunderstand what "content" is?
>
> STeVe

They are exe files with a zip appended. Try out the above code on your
file; it may just help you suss out what the problem is.
E.g.:
>>> import zipfile
>>> zipfile.ZipFile('xlrd-0.6.1a4.win32.exe').namelist()
['PURELIB/xlrd-0.6.1a4-py2.5.egg-info', 'PURELIB/xlrd/biffh.py',
... snip ...
'SCRIPTS/xlrdnameAPIdemo.py']

HTH,
John