Storing tracebacks

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py2 at yahoo.com.ar
Tue May 29 13:21:11 EDT 2007

En Tue, 29 May 2007 13:51:09 -0300, George Sakkis
<george.sakkis at gmail.com> escribió:

> The traceback module is handy if you want a text representation of the
> traceback, not the actual traceback. The reason I want to store the
> actual traceback is to make the exception transparent to the user,
> i.e. not be able to tell whether the exception was thrown in the
> current stack frame or in another thread or even process.
> Unfortunately tracebacks are not pickleable, otherwise I could just
> pickle them in process() and unpickle them in result().

A traceback contains a linked list of frames, each with its own globals
and locals and lot of context info.
I'm not sure that moving a traceback across processes has any sense; a
textual representation should be enough, as t.b. are usually a debugging
aid and not supposed to reach the final user.

--
Gabriel Genellina