SilverLight, a new way for Python?

Duncan Booth duncan.booth at invalid.invalid
Tue May 1 15:54:40 EDT 2007

"Méta-MCI" <enleverlesX.XmcX at XmclaveauX.com> wrote:

> Re!

> Hummm.... Perhaps.
> But, with ActiveScripting, I can define functions & class in Python,
> Ruby(script), Jscript, VBscript, Perl. I can call these
> functions/objects directly from Python, and share many objects (&
> libraries). I am not sure to find these features in SilverLight.

With Silverlight you can define functions & classes in Python, Ruby,
JScript, C#, VB, C++, and other languages and use them interchangeably.
They all run sandboxed on the client. One of the demos (the chess program)
demonstrates the difference quite well: it has both JScript and C#
implementations, with the JScript version examining about 500 nodes per
move and the C# one about 1,500,000.

> Yes, I downloaded two demos, and run-it.
> I had look (quickly) the code. It's run. But it's too few for call
> that a true "try".
> However, these demos are nice & fun.
>

> Another thing: I have VS-2005. I had install the plug-in
> SilverLight/VS ; OK, but I don't found it in VS. Perhaps because I use
> a french version? (sorry, I don't speak english).

As I understand it you have to install the new beta version of visual
studio. So that is an 8Mb download for the Silverlight support in VS plus a
5.6Gb download for Visual Studio itself.