Emacs and pdb after upgrading to Ubuntu Feisty

levander levander404 at gmail.com
Tue May 8 11:31:44 EDT 2007

Okay, thanks Alexander and Bernstein.  I'll lookinto Emacs 23, but I'm
worried about compatibility with modes.  Does all the stuff that works
in Emacs 21 work in 23?  Like even that ipython.el file, does it work
in Emacs 23?  And, I probably will report a bug to either Ubuntu's
Launchpad or to Debian's package maintainer for pdb mode (which
apparently has been integrated into just the gud mode stuff, at least
that's how it looks from looking around on my system).  Does Debian
have a web site for reporting bugs like Ubuntu does?  Or, do I just
email the package maintainer?

I'm messing around with ipython.el and ipython now.  It looks like if
you just want to step through some code that isn't throwing any
execption, you have to modify the source code of your script to tell
ipython to stop on this line and start debugging here?  With all the
raving about ipython, I'm sure it's a great product.  But, this thing
about having to modify your source code really sounds like it sucks.
I'd be surprised if it were difficult to implement a command line
option for ipython that tells it to open this file and then start
debugging it from the top.  And, have the emacs mode operate much like
it does with pdb, where emacs remembers your command line when you
invoked pdb, so you just hit "M-x pdb RET RET RET ..." to open up your
file.  But, maybe I just haven't foud it yet?