Getting some element from sets.Set

jm.suresh@no.spam.gmail.com jm.suresh at gmail.com
Fri May 4 04:23:49 EDT 2007

On May 4, 11:34 am, Peter Otten <__pete... at web.de> wrote:
> jm.sur... at no.spam.gmail.com wrote:
> > It is not possible to index set objects. That is OK.
> > But, what if I want to find some element from the Set.
>
> > from sets import Set
> > s = Set( range(12 )
>
> > if I do pop, that particular element gets removed.
> > I do not want to remove the element, but get some element
> >  from the Set.
>
> > s.some_element() # Is not available
>
> > Is there a way to do this. I am doing it like this:
>
> > for x in s: break
>
> > Now x is /some_element/ from s.
>
> A set is probably not the appropriate container then. What is your use case?
>
> Peter

Peter, I need to do a lot of union and intersection operations on
these elements. So, set is a must for me in this case.

In the particular case, I have to read an attribute from any one of
the elements, which one doesn't matter because this attribute value is
same across all elements in the set.

-
Suresh