Call script which accepts com. line par. from another script and error control

Karim Ali kakeez at hotmail.com
Wed May 23 20:09:36 EDT 2007

Hi,

I would really appreciate help on this. I have a script (s1.py) which I
would like to call from another script (s2.py). No problem there.

The first issue is that s1.py has a command line parser which I would like
to keep but instead of fetching the information from the command line, I
would like to direct the parser to get the information from a variable so i
can call sp1.py from sp2.py and give it an expression to parse that normally
would go on the command line. To make things clearer:

s1.py (currently) --------------------------------------------

def ...
def ...

cmdl_parser = optparse.OptionParser..
cmdl_parser.add_option..

(cmdl_opts, cmdl_args) = cmdl_parser.parse_args()

sp1.py (the one I would like)

def ...
def ...

def MAIN(expression2parse)                    <----- add a main so can call
from other script
       cmdl_parser = optparse.OptionParser..
       cmdl_parser.add_option..

       (cmdl_opts, cmdl_args) = cmdl_parser.parse_args()
<---------------------------do this but on "expression2parse"

The second issue is error control. In case of an error in sp1.py I want the
error handling to happen at the level of sp2.py so I can better manage
things. Does anyone know how this could be done. Essentially return control
to sp2.py?

I am new to Python (5 hours) but have extensive programming in C++. I would
really appreciate your input.

Thanks!

Kakeez