Distributing programs depending on third party modules.

Kevin Walzer kw at codebykevin.com
Wed May 16 09:53:04 EDT 2007

Tina I wrote:
> Kevin Walzer wrote:

> And maybe the smartest thing to do would be to dump PyQt and just go for
> tkinter, however ugly it is :/

Tkinter doesn't have to be ugly.

I sell a proprietary Tkinter app commercially on OS X:

http://www.codebykevin.com/phynchronicity-running.png

It takes some work to get Tkinter looking polished. You have to use
extension packages for things like table views, tree views,
platform-specific theming, and so on. Fortunately, all that stuff is
available in Tkinter:

Tile for Tkinter: http://tkinter.unpythonic.net/wiki/TileWrapper

Tabelist for Tkinter (with Tile support):
http://tkinter.unpythonic.net/wiki/TableListTileWrapper

pyBwidgets: http://tkinter.unpythonic.net/bwidget/

Tile, Tablelist and BWidgets are my extension packages of choice. There
are others as well.

Here's a sample application that uses some of the packages outlined above:

http://tkinter.unpythonic.net/wiki/PyLocateTile (includes Mac and
X11-based screen shots)

It may not be worth your time to port from PyQt to Tkinter, but I did
want to show a bit how you can create a polished GUI with Tkinter.

--
Kevin Walzer
Code by Kevin