Is wsgi ready for prime time?

Ron Garret rNOSPAMon at flownet.com
Thu May 17 15:26:34 EDT 2007

In article <f2i6cr$20vn$1 at ulysses.news.tiscali.de>,
 Stargaming <stargaming at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ron Garret wrote:
> > The wsgiref module in Python 2.5 seems to be empty:
> >
> > [ron at mickey:~/Sites/modpy]$ python
> > Python 2.5 (r25:51908, Mar  1 2007, 10:09:05)
> > [GCC 4.0.1 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 5367)] on darwin

> > ['__builtins__', '__doc__', '__file__', '__name__', '__path__']
> >

> > So... is wsgi considered ready for production use, or is it still on the
> > bleeding edge?  And if the former, which implementation should one use?
> >
> > rg
>
>  >>> help(wsgiref)
> Help on package wsgiref:
>
> NAME
>      wsgiref - wsgiref -- a WSGI (PEP 333) Reference Library
>
> DESCRIPTION
>      Current Contents:
>
>      * util -- Miscellaneous useful functions and wrappers
>
>      * headers -- Manage response headers
>
>      * handlers -- base classes for server/gateway implementations
>
>      * simple_server -- a simple BaseHTTPServer that supports WSGI
>
>      * validate -- validation wrapper that sits between an app and a server
>        to detect errors in either
>
>      To-Do:
>
>      * cgi_gateway -- Run WSGI apps under CGI (pending a deployment
> standard)
>
>      * cgi_wrapper -- Run CGI apps under WSGI
>
>      * router -- a simple middleware component that handles URL traversal
>
> PACKAGE CONTENTS
>      handlers
>      headers
>      simple_server
>      util
>      validate
>
> Reading the documentation can be useful sometimes. Recommending
> http://docs.python.org/lib/module-wsgiref.html, too.

I did read the documentation, but the documentation does not seem to
reflect reality, e.g.:

>>> wsgiref.util
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'util'
>>> wsgiref.headers
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'headers'
>>> wsgiref.handlers
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'handlers'

Hence my question.

rg