PEP 3131: Supporting Non-ASCII Identifiers

René Fleschenberg rene at korteklippe.de
Wed May 16 03:51:46 EDT 2007

Gregor Horvath schrieb:
> René Fleschenberg schrieb:
>
>> today, to the best of my knowledge. And "in some form or another"
>> basically means that the PEP would create more possibilities for things
>> to go wrong. That things can already go wrong today does not mean that
>> it does not matter if we create more occasions were things can go wrong
>> even worse.
>
> Following this logic we should not add any new features at all, because
> all of them can go wrong and can be used the wrong way.

No, that does not follow from my logic. What I say is: When thinking
about wether to add a new feature, the potential benefits should be
weighed against the potential problems. I see some potential problems
with this PEP and very little potential benefits.

> I love Python because it does not dictate how to do things.
> I do not need a ASCII-Dictator, I can judge myself when to use this
> feature and when to avoid it, like any other feature.

*That* logic can be used to justify the introduction of *any* feature.

--
René