Gui thread and async jobs.

king kikapu aboudouvas at panafonet.gr
Tue May 8 08:30:50 EDT 2007

Hi, i am reading the book "Python Cookbook, 2nd edition" and i
encountered a very handy recipe, the one that is called "Combining
GUIs and Asynchronous I/O with Threads"

It is talking about retain a main GUI thread, doing async work with
worker threads and have both talk through a Queue object to dispatch
their messages, so the main (GUI) thread remain responsive.
It has a very good example by using Tkinter and Qt that is indeed
working. The only point that make me wonder is that the QUI thread has
to use some polling to check for messages in the Queue.

Author said that another alternatives exists (by not doing polling)
but the complexity makes them non-practical for the 90% of ocassions.
I remember in C# we deal with that sort of things with events/
delegates.
Hos the same thing is possible in Python, has anyone any link(s) to
have a look ?