Trying to choose between python and java

Bruno Desthuilliers bruno.42.desthuilliers at wtf.websiteburo.oops.com
Tue May 15 04:43:36 EDT 2007

Anthony Irwin a écrit :
> Hi All,
>
> I am currently trying to decide between using python or java and have a
> few quick questions about python that you may be able to help with.
>
> #1 Does python have something like javas .jar packages. A jar file
> contains all the program files and you can execute the program with java
> -jar program.jar

Python eggs

> I am sort of hoping python has something like this because I feel it
> makes it easier to distribute between platforms e.g. linux, mac windows
> etc.

Note that while highly portable (and ported), Python is not as autistic
as Java and doesn't try to pretend the underlying platform doesn't
exists...

> #2 What database do people recommend for using with python that is easy
> to distribute across linux, mac, windows.

If you're thinking of embedded databases, the answer is SQLite. Else,
PostgreSQL and MySQL both run on Windows and mowt unices.

> #3 Is there any equivalent to jfreechart and jfreereport
> (http://www.jfree.org for details) in python.
>
> #4 If I write a program a test it with python-wxgtk2.6 under linux are
> the program windows likely to look right under windows and mac?
>
> #5 someone said that they used to use python but stopped because the
> language changed or made stuff depreciated

s/depreciated/deprecated/

> (I can fully remember which)
> and old code stopped working.

This is very strange, and even looks like FUD. Python has gone very far
into maintaining compatibility, and there's a lot of pretty old code
still running on latest Python versions.

> Is code written today likely to still work
> in 5+ years or do they depreciate stuff and you have to update?

I still use code written more than five years ago.

> Anyway hopefully someone can help me out with these last few questions I
> have.
>
> Also does anyone else have any useful comments about python vs java
> without starting a flame war.

Err... reading the last words, I think I'd better shut my mouth now.