is there a standard way to "install" egg-files under windows ?

stef s.mientki at id.umcn.nl
Thu May 31 03:40:39 EDT 2007

John Nagle wrote:
> Diez B. Roggisch wrote:
>> Stef Mientki schrieb:
>>
>>> hello,
>>>
>>> after 4 months playing around with Python,
>>> and I still have troubles with egg files.
>>> Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
>>>
>>> If I google on "python egg", I get lost of links,
>>> which contains huge pages of information,
>>> and I'm totally scared off.
>
>    ".egg" files are actually ".zip" files.  So you can
> rename them to ".zip" and unpack them where they need to go.
> This is usually easier than debugging "easy_install".
>
>                 John Nagle
thanks guys,

I'm slowly getting the picture.
Now knowing it's a zip file,
and trying several egg-files through easy_install,
I noticed different things,
- sometimes the egg is unzipped and placed in the "site-package" directory
- sometimes it's just copied (unzipped) to the site-package directory.

My first conclusion that egg-installation didn't work sometimes,
has probably to do with version conflicts between the already installed
libs and the new to install libs,
but I guess that's the benefit of open source ;-)

So if that's all, the renaming to .zip might be a less obscure way of
working.

cheers,
Stef Mientki