Trying to choose between python and java

Ant antroy at gmail.com
Tue May 15 04:17:18 EDT 2007

As someone else has said, Python has eggs: http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/PythonEggs

> #3 Is there any equivalent to jfreechart and jfreereport
> (http://www.jfree.orgfor details) in python.

I can't remember what it is I use - I haven't got access to my server
at the moment... But look in the cheese shop - I'm fairly sure it was
from there. I'll post details if I remember. Alternatively this looks
good (though I haven't tried it and it's only free for non-commercial
use): http://www.dislin.de

> #5 someone said that they used to use python but stopped because the
> language changed or made stuff depreciated (I can fully remember
> which) and old code stopped working. Is code written today likely to
> still work in 5+ years or do they depreciate stuff and you have to update?

Any language will have some compatibility problems when upgrading to a
different version, and so you have the option of updating your program
or using an old version of the language. I'm a professional Java
developer, and though Java 6 has been out for some time now, every
company I've worked for in the last couple of years still uses Java
1.4 due to problems with the upgrade.

Python does strive however to stay backward compatible (3k not
withstanding), and I've upgraded from 2.3 to 2.4 and now 2.5 with no
problems.

> Also does anyone else have any useful comments about python vs java
> without starting a flame war.

As I said, I'm a professional Java developer, and much prefer
programming in Python when I can (and am even getting quite a lot of
Python work at the moment via Jython :-) )

--
Ant...

http://antroy.blogspot.com/