Python and GUI

Russell E. Owen rowen at cesmail.net
Thu May 24 15:32:11 EDT 2007

In article <1179761984.704369.116310 at b40g2000prd.googlegroups.com>,
 sdoty044 at gmail.com wrote:

> Just wondering on what peoples opinions are of the GUIs avaiable for
> Python?
>
> All I am doing is prompting users for some data (listbox, radio
> buttons, text box, ect...).  Then I will have some text output, maybe
> a scrolling text message as things are happening.
>
> I have some minor things I need to do, for example, if Checkbutton X
> is clicked, I need to disable TextBox Y, and I would like to display
> the scrolling text (output)
>
> Ultimately, is it worth downloading and learning some of the packages
> avaiable for Python, or should I just stick to the Tkinter stuff that
> is included.
>
> More specifically, has anyone used the Qt stuff for python, easy to
> use?

My opinion is that Tkinter is perfect for the job you describe. It is
easy to use, fairly pythonic (an issue with some competing toolkits) and
does not require any fancy installation.

If you want a very professional and "native" look then you have to work
harder. Options include Tkinter with tile, wxPython, PyQt and several
others.

-- Russell