Cherrypy setup questions

Brian Blais bblais at bryant.edu
Tue May 22 21:38:15 EDT 2007

Hello,

I'd like to start trying out some cherrypy apps, but I've been having some setup
problems.  I think I need some bone-head simple example to clear my understanding.  :)

I'm on a system running Apache, that I don't have root access to.  I will be
publishing the html/image/python files in a directory off of my current web page, and
running the app as a user on the system.  I'd like to be able to specify the base url
for the app, especially if I have more than one app.  I've read the docs, but am
getting confused with the config file information, and exactly how to set it up.  I'm
using CherryPy 3.0.1, the latest I know.

Some questions I have:
   1) can I configure cherrypy to look at requests only off a base url, like:

         http://www.provider.com:8080/~myusername/apps

and ignore all other requests below that url, like

         http://www.provider.com:8080/~someotherguy

or

         http://www.provider.com:8080/~myusername

   2) If you run (as in Unix):

      cd app1
      python mycherrypyapp1.py &

      cd ../app2
      python mycherrypyapp2.py &

Does this start 2 cherrypy servers, trying to both fight for port 8080, or is there
only one, and the two apps share it?

Are there any examples that show such a setup?  I didn't see a CherryPy mailing list,
so I'm posting here, but if there is somewhere else better I'd be glad to know!

		thanks,

			Brian Blais

--

              bblais at bryant.edu