(Modular-)Application Framework / Rich-Client-Platform in Python

Wildemar Wildenburger wildemar at freakmail.de
Fri May 18 14:10:49 EDT 2007

Peter Wang wrote:
> Actually, just this week, we completed a major SVN reorganization and
> from this point forward, all of the libraries in ETS will be released
> as eggs.  In fact, eggs have been available for a long time for python
> 2.4, and now we have them for python 2.5 as well.

I'm not sure, but you guys seem a bit Windows-centric. I have yet to
find out if the egg-approach actually works for Linux (and Mac, though I
don't use it) as well. I've seen some mentioning of binary dependencies,
which makes me frown a bit. We'll just see.

> The "Eclipse in python" you're looking for is actually called
> Envisage, and it is part of ETS: https://svn.enthought.com/enthought/wiki/Envisage
>
> The "Dev Guide" has some tutorials etc.: https://svn.enthought.com/enthought/wiki/EnvisageDevGuide

Yeah, I've been reading through that for the past couple of hours, seems
pretty sweet and reasonably simple.
I can see your reorg, by the way: The example .py files are not where
they're advertised to be. Better be quick with that, even solid software
with buggy documentation is buggy software ... ;)

> Chime in on the mailing list if you have any questions.  It's pretty
> active and many people on it have lots of experience with Envisage.

I'm almost sure I will :)

c.u.
/w