Python Web Programming - looking for examples of solid high-traffic sites

John Nagle nagle at animats.com
Thu May 17 12:35:15 EDT 2007

Jarek Zgoda wrote:
> Victor Kryukov napisał(a):
>

>>Our main requirement for tools we're going to use is rock-solid
>>stability. As one of our team-members puts it, "We want to use tools
>>that are stable, has many developer-years and thousands of user-years
>>behind them, and that we shouldn't worry about their _versions_." The
>>main reason for that is that we want to debug our own bugs, but not
>>the bugs in our tools.
>

> I don't think you find anything even remotely resembling that idea here.
> Moreover, I don't think you find it elsewhere. Maybe even such tools do
> not exist in nature?

     Sure they do.  I have a complex web site, "http://www.downside.com",
that's implemented with Perl, Apache, and MySQL.  It automatically reads SEC
filings and parses them to produce financial analyses.  It's been
running for seven years, and hasn't been modified in five, except once
when the NASDAQ changed the format of their ticker symbol file.

    It's not that useful at this point, because its purpose was to predict
failing dot-coms, but it's still running and doing a sizable amount of
work every day to update itself.

					John Nagle