My Python annoyances

Thorsten Kampe thorsten at thorstenkampe.de
Thu May 3 17:03:26 EDT 2007

* Paul Boddie (3 May 2007 07:27:11 -0700)
> On 3 Mai, 15:49, Ben Collver <coll... at peak.org> wrote:
> > I installed Cygwin on a Windows machine.  I try to quit from an
> > interactive Python session.  It tells me that on my platform, I must
> > press Control-Z to exit.  I press Control-Z and it makes Python a
> > background process.
>
> Yes, Ctrl-Z exits Python in the standard Windows edition. Since Cygwin
> provides a POSIX-like environment, Ctrl-D should be used instead. If
> the documentation is wrong, a bug report or patch should be filed
> against the software.

He was using /Windows/ Python in Cygwin *chuckle*... Windows Python
says Ctrl-Z because it doesn't know that it's been run from bash where
Ctrl-Z is for job control.

And the lesson we learn from that: if you're using Windows Python use
a Windows shell. If you're using a Cygwin shell use Cygwin Python -
unless you know what you're doing (which he wasn't).

Thorsten