PEP 3131: Supporting Non-ASCII Identifiers

Stefan Behnel stefan.behnel-n05pAM at web.de
Wed May 16 06:12:38 EDT 2007

sjdevnull at yahoo.com wrote:
> Stefan Behnel wrote:
>> sjdevnull at yahoo.com wrote:
>>> I even sometimes
>>> read code snippets on email lists and websites from my handheld, which
>>> is sadly still memory-limited enough that I'm really unlikely to
>>> install anything approaching a full set of Unicode fonts.
>> One of the arguments against this PEP was that it seemed to be impossible to
>> find either transliterated identifiers in code or native identifiers in Java
>> code using a web search. So it is very unlikely that you will need to upgrade
>> your handheld as it is very unlikely for you to stumble into such code.
>
> Sure, if the feature isn't going to be used then it won't present
> problems.

Thing is, this feature *is* going to be used. Just not by projects that you
are likely to stumble into. Most OpenSource projects will continue to stick to
English-only, and posts to English-speaking newsgroups will also stick to
English. But Closed-Source programs and posts to non-English newsgroups *can*
use this feature if their developers want. And you still wouldn't even notice.

Stefan